Re: Licensing: feedback wanted

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com> wrote:

> Le 30 nov. 2011 à 07:36, Chris Mills a écrit :
> > shall we go with by-sa. or just by? I think by-sa is best, as I worry
> what would happen to our material if we didn't include SA. We want the
> material and any evolution of it to be open, surely?
>

> We have a very similar case here. We want the content to be widespread by
> people and reused be it in a commercial context and/or an open context. As
> long as the source stays open, people have always the possibility to use
> it. It's why I'm in favor of CC-BY

If we were authoring all the content ourselves, I think I could be in
complete agreement, as CC-BY is most analogous to a permissive code
license, such as MIT or BSD, which have shown to permit sufficient adoption
and use (surely due in large part to their simplicity) amongst all the most
popular JavaScript libraries for example (the software I'm most familiar
with writing and licensing).

However, deciding to license our content CC-BY would preclude us from using
any content from MDN, as just one example. Is that worth it? I'm not sure
it is.

- Richard