Re: Licensing: feedback wanted

I think by-sa is sufficient. The only commercial use it would limit is one
that would benefit a single person or company without any of that benefit
being shared back to the community. That's not consistent with our goal.
And by-sa still allows for plenty of great commercial uses.

Also, it would be consistent with MDN,
https://developer.mozilla.org/Project:Copyrights, meaning we can use
content from there without having to license it differently, and I think we
should have a single license for all our content, regardless of the
original source(s).

Now that I look again at the MDN copyright page, I'm reminded of what they
do with code samples, and we may want to consider doing the same. Notice
they require them to be public domain. One thing this does is it makes it
possible for anyone to take a code sample from our curriculum, even if its
3 lines of code, and use it anywhere, without having to have a comment
above the code that says where it came from, who owns the copyright, and
under which license it's used and distributed. As our goal is not to create
a giant library of source code (if it were, a code license would be
appropriate) but a giant curriculum of which parts are code samples (some
small, some large), I think this makes good sense. Also, CC licenses are
not really fitting to source code, and it would be I think more pain than
worth to license the source code differently (with a code license) than the
rest of the content.

In short, I think the MDN copyright page is a great reference.

- Richard