gOE and gOET validation problem solved

From: Galt, Stuart A <stuart.a.galt@boeing.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 07:44:52 -0700
To: "WebCGM WG" <public-webcgm-wg@w3.org>
Hello all,

I have played around with the validator a bit more and have come to a
few conclusions.

addin the line <?xml.... at the top of the file turns it from html
transitional into xhtml.  I think that we have not made the jump to
xhtml so this line should be removed.  I actually started reading
http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset
a bit more closely and discovered that the way I was doing it with the
xml declaration at the top has problems see:
http://www.w3.org/International/articles/serving-xhtml/#declaration

So the correct solution is to not have a xml declaration (it isn't
xml....) and to have a meta tag that looks like:

 or

The reason it didn't work with my original meta tag was because I didn't
have the http-equiv="Content-Type" attribute included.  Once I added the
attribute and deleted the xml declaration the file validated
- when I used "by file upload" in internet exploder
- when I used "by file upload" in firefox
- when I used "by direct input" in firefox

Any thoughts?

--
Stuart Galt
SGML Resource Group