Re[2]: Fwd: Re: [LC Review] of WebCGM 2.0

At 01:29 PM 7/10/2006 -0400, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
>Monday, July 10, 2006, 12:40:41 PM, Chris Lilley wrote:
>
> > On Monday, July 10, 2006, 4:14:13 PM, Benoit wrote:
>
>[...]
>BB>>  As for 'character encoding' instead of 'character set',
>BB>> I suspect we kept the same wording as CGM:1999. More thoughts anyone
>BB>> on this one?
>
> > We should use the correct term, character encoding. Character set has a
> > different meaning.
>Right, I think Lofton has some ideas about this. Note that we can
>change the WebCGM 2.0 wording, but not the PPF.

In case it's not clear what Benoit meant by the last comment... the PPF
(chapter 6) contains a row for each CGM element.  There are CGM elements
named CHARACTER SET LIST [1], CHARACTER SET INDEX, etc.  Obviously we can't
change the name of the ISO CGM element, even if it is improper usage.  We
can, however, improve the descriptive prose.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-webcgm20-20060623/WebCGM20-Profile.html#webcgm_4_5_T_16_14

There is no doubt that "character set", used in CGM for 20 years and WebCGM
for 7 years, is at odds with the correct usage as defined in CharMod.  My
"some ideas" are along these lines, for improving the prose and easing the
discontinuity with WebCGM 1.0 and CGM:1999 (:1992, :1987):

1.) either change "character set" to "character encoding" in the
descriptive prose, and hyperlink every occurrence to an informative note
that explains the incorrect legacy usage ("character set") of previous
versions, and points to the appropriate CharMod section.

2.) or leave "character set" in the prose and hyperlink each occurrence to
a similar informative note.

I expect that I18N will like #1 the best.  Since the PPF is based on the
Model Profile of CGM:1999, a hybrid approach might be sensible -- #1 for
prose outside of the PPF cells, #2 for prose within the PPF cells (leaving
ISO CGM element names alone altogether).

-Lofton.