Re[2]: Fwd: Re: [LC Review] of WebCGM 2.0

Monday, July 10, 2006, 12:40:41 PM, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Monday, July 10, 2006, 4:14:13 PM, Benoit wrote:

BB>> Here are my opinions with regards to these comments:

BB>> comment 1: yes, "OASIS CGM Open ..." should be removed from <title>.

BB>> comment 2: as Felix points out, we have two references to Unicode...
BB>> Unicode and Unicode-401. However, I couldn't find Unicode-401 anywhere
BB>> in the specification, the closest I could find was [Unicode40]
BB>> in Chapter 3 (which we don't have in the reference section). One
BB>> reference to Unicode should suffice, no? The generic one.

> I agree - especially if the references to a specific version are not
> actually used.
Ok.

>   C063 [S] A generic reference to the Unicode Standard MUST be made if
>   it is desired that characters allocated after a specification is
>   published are usable with that specification. A specific reference to
>   the Unicode Standard MAY be included to ensure that functionality
>   depending on a particular version is available and will not change
>   over time.
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#sec-RefUnicode

BB>> comment 3: possibly a bit more tricky... I suspect the default is
BB>> IsoLatin 1 for legacy reasons. What would be the harm in making the
BB>> default UTF-8?

> Is the text ever used without an explicit indication of the character
> encoding? In other words, does content rely on the encoding being a
> particular default?
I think legacy should win here. This is CGM:1999 territory... I see
more harm than good from such a change (if doable).

> Its certainly easier to change the default now rather than later. Also,
> its off for the XML companion file to have one default encoding (UTF-8 or
> UTF-16) and the WebCGM to have a different one (Latin-1).
After thinking about it some more, I expect the long time CGM users
(Dave, Lofton, Dieter, Don etc...) to say "don't change the default".

BB>>  As for 'character encoding' instead of 'character set',
BB>> I suspect we kept the same wording as CGM:1999. More thoughts anyone
BB>> on this one?

> We should use the correct term, character encoding. Character set has a
> different meaning.
Right, I think Lofton has some ideas about this. Note that we can
change the WebCGM 2.0 wording, but not the PPF.

--
Regards,
 Benoit   mailto:benoit@itedo.com

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be protected
by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and
delete this copy from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.