Re: Proposal: moving tests to GitHub

On 1/22/13 5:53 AM, ext Odin Hørthe Omdal wrote:
> We just had a small discussion on webapps-testsuite [1] about the
> possibility of moving the webapps tests.  I was wrongly under the
> impression that we had discussed this before (hey, confusion is not a
> crime ;) ).  Now that HTML has done the move, I think it is time for
> us to look at it too.  Ms2ger and Robin, which did most of the HTML
> testsuite [2] move were happy to help [3].
>
> Ms2ger proposed merging our repository with HTML at the same time and
> not necessarily having one repository for each group.  I was already
> thinking such a move might be beneficial to do for webapps and
> webappsec, but it might be even more simple to also have html
> testsuite in that merge.
>
> Robin wrote an email describing what they did for the HTML move, some
> of which should be relevant for our potential move too [4]. Of
> particular interest the possibility for having tests in folders by
> section of the spec, and making submissions pull requests.
>

> I'm interested in such a move because it'll make our tests more
> visible, and easier to contribute to.  Just this weekend the Server
> Sent Events spec got 6 pull requests from a GitHub user "Yaffle" [5].
> Note that that particular repository will be moved into however our
> new test repository structure will be, so it probably won't remain as
> a separate repository.

Before we start a CfC to change WebApps' agreed testing process
[Testing], please make a clear proposal regarding the submission
process, approval process, roles, etc. as is defined in [Testing] and
its references. (My preference is for you to document the new process,
expectations, etc. in WebApps' Public wiki, rooted at
<http://www.w3.org/wiki/Webapps/>).

Also, what is the expectation regarding [Framework]? Does your proposal
include still using it? If yes, will there be automagic mirroring of
github changes to w3c-test.org?

-Thanks, AB

[Testing] <http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/Testing>
[Framework] <http://w3c-test.org/framework/app/suite>