Re: [XHR] chunked

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 13:25:49 +0200
To: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Cc: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Wenbo Zhu <wenboz@google.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, September 27, 2012 10:43 AM, Travis Leithead wrote:
>> In my observation of the current IE behavior, the Stream is for download
>> only. XHR gets the data from the server and buffers it. The consumer of the
>> stream then pulls data as needed which is extracted from the buffer.
>
> In IE10, we only implemented the download part of our proposal. The idea is that
> you should be able to upload a continuing stream using the stream builder API.
> However, not many services support chunked upload nor does our underlying network
> stack on the client so it was a low priority and not something we've tackled yet.

Just to be clear here, initially I thought
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/streams-api/raw-file/tip/Overview.htm#send0 to
be too unclear for the streaming scenario, but I suppose it can work
if you assume the raw data by the stream object is not a constant
until the object is closed. I will take a stab at updating
http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/ with the relevant text and references.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/