RE: [XHR] chunked

From: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 12:56:19 +0000
To: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
CC: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Wenbo Zhu <wenboz@google.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
> > From: annevankesteren@gmail.com [mailto:annevankesteren@gmail.com] On
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Travis Leithead
> > <travis.leithead@microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > It hasn't been updated in a while, but we're still keen on seeing it
> > move forward AFAIK:
> > > http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/streams-api/raw-file/tip/Overview.htm

> > Cool. I can integrate the relevant bits into XMLHttpRequest. Do I
> > understand it correctly that it does not allow for streaming data
> > towards the server? It seems to just copy the data from the Stream
> > object that it currently represents and that's that. Is that really
> > what we want here?
>
> In my observation of the current IE behavior, the Stream is for download
> only. XHR gets the data from the server and buffers it. The consumer of the
> stream then pulls data as needed which is extracted from the buffer.

In IE10, we only implemented the download part of our proposal. The idea is that
you should be able to upload a continuing stream using the stream builder API.
However, not many services support chunked upload nor does our underlying network
stack on the client so it was a low priority and not something we've tackled yet.

Adrian.