[FileAPI] blob: protocol need a content-length header

From: Benjamin BERNARD <benjamin.bernard@benvii.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 11:56:43 +0200
To: public-webapps@w3.org
Hi,
I was developing an offline music web App when I discover that is no
"Content-length" header specified here :
http://www.w3.org/TR/FileAPI/#ProtocolExamples
So when you play an audio/video file stored as a blob (under a blob URI)
it's considered by the player as streaming content which means you can't
get the duration of a song for instance (it has an infinite duration). I
think it might be the consequence of not providing a content-length header.

I experienced it using Firefox I heard Internet Explorer already provide
this header.

Moreover, I don't understand why there is no content-length header
recommended in the spec because when you use URL.createObjectURL(blob),
blob has a finished size (correct me if I'm wrong). So a content-length
header should also be provided and recommended in the spec.

Thanks in advance,

--
Benjamin BERNARD<benjamin.bernard@benvii.com>