Re: [FileAPI] blob: protocol need a content-length header

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 12:23:23 -0700
To: Benjamin BERNARD <benjamin.bernard@benvii.com>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org
On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 2:56 AM, Benjamin BERNARD
<benjamin.bernard@benvii.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I was developing an offline music web App when I discover that is no
> "Content-length" header specified here :
> http://www.w3.org/TR/FileAPI/#ProtocolExamples
> So when you play an audio/video file stored as a blob (under a blob URI)
> it's considered by the player as streaming content which means you can't get
> the duration of a song for instance (it has an infinite duration). I think
> it might be the consequence of not providing a content-length header.
>
> I experienced it using Firefox I heard Internet Explorer already provide
> this header.
>
> Moreover, I don't understand why there is no content-length header
> recommended in the spec because when you use URL.createObjectURL(blob), blob
> has a finished size (correct me if I'm wrong). So a content-length header
> should also be provided and recommended in the spec.

Yes, I agree, we should have a content-length header similar to the
content-type header.

In Gecko things are a bit complicated because we don't have headers on
anything but http channels. But we do have the concept of a length of
a response for all channels so that should take care of it. Not sure
off the top of my head why it doesn't. Filing a bug with an example
would be great.

/ Jonas