Re: [IndexedDB] Problems unprefixing IndexedDB

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 22:00:39 -0400
To: public-webapps@w3.org
> Kyle Huey:
>> PS. We're also going to run into this in the future with any other
>> prefixed DOM APIs we add to the global, probably even if we don't tell
>> people to do it wrong in our tutorials.  This behavior is a pretty
>> massive footgun.
>
> The problem seems to be because Web IDL moved properties from IDL
> attributes up to the prototype

Just a point of record: they were already there in many implementations.

> and that changed `var attributeName;` behaviour.

No, that changed when the ES spec changed how 'var' works recently...
It didn't use to shadow things the way it does now, iirc.

> What if we change window's [[DefineOwnProperty]] so that if it would
> create a shadowing property for a name that corresponds to an IDL
> attribute on Window (or one of its mixed in interfaces), it doesn't do
> that?  But not for operations.

Just for Window?  What about interfaces Window inherits from?

An why not for operations?  Seems like exactly the same issue arises with:

   var requestAnimationFrame = window.requestAnimationFrame || ....;

-Boris