Re: [IndexedDB] Problems unprefixing IndexedDB

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:13:36 +1000
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org
Boris Zbarsky:
> Just for Window?  What about interfaces Window inherits from?

Them too.

> An why not for operations?  Seems like exactly the same issue arises with:
>
>    var requestAnimationFrame = window.requestAnimationFrame || ....;

I was thinking that properties for operations have always been on
prototypes, so people would already be used to var shadowing them.  You
are right though that if people use that same pattern, they will fail
similarly.

Are there pages that rely on var shadowing for certain names and having
the variable start off undefined?  I can only assume there are.  If so,
then we might need to pick a set of names where shadowing still works
despite there being a property on the prototype for an IDL attribute or
operation.