Re: Adding Web Intents to the Webapps WG deliverables

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:47:19 -0700
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, public-webapps@w3.org
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Namespace names are things I copy from templates and never type from memory.

Exactly, which means namespaces aren't memorable.  The only reason to
give up memorability is if you require the name to be both
collision-free and context-free (see Zooko's Triangle).  Both of those
are nice (as they always are), but they're not really required for a
workable namespace.  Giving up memorability for no real benefit is a
loss all around.

In the specific case of intents, the same applies.  We don't need them
to be securely collision-free (collisions are slightly annoying for
the user, but should be fairly rare in practice, and can be resolved
by the user without a lot of trouble).  They should be context-free,
as they apply across the whole web.  And they should be memorable,
because authors have to type these and they get non-memorable things
wrong.

~TJ