Re: Adding Web Intents to the Webapps WG deliverables

On 9/23/11 5:20 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> If I had $1 for every time I wrote xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/"
>> and $10 for every time I told someone their page was broken because
>> they'd done that, I'd get myself a vacation package...
>
> Namespace names are things I copy from templates and never type from
> memory.

Sure.  So your typical author goes to their favorite search engine,
types "XHTML namespace", clicks the resulting link, and copies their URL
bar.  Because they have no templates on hand (or if they do they take
longer to find than doing the above steps) and because they certainly
don't remember what the damn string is, because it has 28 chars instead
of 5.

And if they do that they get the above string.

Amusingly enough, if you repeat the exercise for "SVG namespace", the
results are correct.

-Boris

P.S.  And in case you really care:

wget -S -O /dev/null http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/

Whereas http://www.w3.org/2000/svg doesn't do any redirecting.

I will posit that if namespace strings were not URIs such issues would
be physically impossible.

-Boris