Re: Reference to the HTML specification

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Julian Reschke wrote:

> I do see that it's a problem when people use outdated specs; but maybe
> the problem is not the being "dated", but how they are published. As far
> as I can tell, there's not nearly as much confusion on the IETF side of
> things, where Internet Drafts actually come with an Expiration Date.

Things are even worse on the IETF side, with RFCs that have been long
obsoleted by newer RFCs having no clear indication of such, RFCs having
no canonical URL, RFCs claiming things that are completely bogus, etc.
Plus, IDs expire, which makes things even worse, since it means you can't
have stability _by design_ unless you're willing to commit to the text
being fixed. Plus, when someone actually tries to publish regular updates,
as I did with the WebSocket draft, people complain that it's being
updated! No, the IETF situation is far worse.