Re: Reference to the HTML specification

On 2011-09-05 16:13, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> Most don't, in my experience. Specially those from other consortia. They love cling the dated specs and then pretend they are somehow more stable then the Editor's Draft. It's simply nonsense, but the W3C Process document seems to codify this.
>> bleeding edge quite often. It's a game of "who can have the latest and greatest first and the best".
>   Not always so. Other industries believe that having a stable reference point will cut down their interop issues (specially for environments where it's difficult to update software). I know, how ridiculous and illogical is that?!

Well, dated and immutable specs *indeed* are more stable. If you need
"stability" as in "what it says today it will say tomorrow as well" then
dated snapshots are the right thing to use.

I do see that it's a problem when people use outdated specs; but maybe
the problem is not the being "dated", but how they are published. As far
as I can tell, there's not nearly as much confusion on the IETF side of
things, where Internet Drafts actually come with an Expiration Date.

Best regards, Julian