Re: [Clipboard API] Copy to clipboard

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 12:47:28 +0200, Hallvord R. M. Steen
<hallvord@opera.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 02:14:10 +0200, João Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi !
>>
>> The spec for setData [1] states that this method when calling from a
>> cut/copy event sets new data on the clipboard. Unfortunately, this is
>> insufficient to implement the typical copy to clipboard button
>
> It is indeed. However, you already have things like
> document.execCommand('copy') for that.

So lets say I have one of features which let me copy to the clipboard a
snippet of html to embed a video for instance, to paste somewhere.

A script needs to create an element, put the contents inside, wrap a
selection around it, call execCommand('copy'), remove the element and
shift focus back to the button.

Seems a bit overkill. Are you really sure it can't be made simpler ? The
feature is there already, theoretically.