Re: [Clipboard API] Copy to clipboard

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 12:47:28 +0200
To: "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, João Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>
On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 02:14:10 +0200, João Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi !
>
> The spec for setData [1] states that this method when calling from a
> cut/copy event sets new data on the clipboard. Unfortunately, this is
> insufficient to implement the typical copy to clipboard button

It is indeed. However, you already have things like
document.execCommand('copy') for that.

> Perhaps the spec should somehow include a way for a webpage, or origin,
> to request the user more privileges accessing the clipboard ?

I don't think it is in scope for this spec beyond recommending that UAs
take into account the privacy and security issues a clipboard API raises.
As far as I know, UAs already have preferences and limitations that
regulate access to the existing clipboard commands.

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen, Core Tester, Opera Software
http://www.opera.com http://my.opera.com/hallvors/