Re: [widget] technology/specification name

From: Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:17:42 +0100
Cc: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>, public-webapps@w3.org, Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>
To: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Part of the issue is that its a fairly generic technology that can be applied to areas including:

- Browser extensions
- Installable web apps
- Desktop widgets
- Site gadgets
- TV/STB widgets
- Mobile webapps

I think the name "widgets" came from the heritage of Opera Widgets, Nokia Widgets, Apple Dashboard Widgets (etc). Personally I don't think its all that bad as a name, but I don't feel especially attached to it either. If there is a better option, lets go for it.

On the other hand, if there are barriers to adoption other than branding, lets address them. Unfortunately, I suspect a fair amount of it is just NIH syndrome.