From: public-webapps-request@w3.org [mailto:public-webapps-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Scott Wilson
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:18 PM
To: Dave Raggett
Cc: Karl Dubost; public-webapps@w3.org; Bruce Lawson
Subject: Re: [widget] technology/specification name

Part of the issue is that its a fairly generic technology that can be
applied to areas including:

- Browser extensions
- Installable web apps
- Desktop widgets
- Site gadgets
- TV/STB widgets
- Mobile webapps

I think the name "widgets" came from the heritage of Opera Widgets, Nokia
Widgets, Apple Dashboard Widgets (etc). Personally I don't think its all
that bad as a name, but I don't feel especially attached to it either. If
there is a better option, lets go for it.

On the other hand, if there are barriers to adoption other than branding,
lets address them. Unfortunately, I suspect a fair amount of it is just
NIH syndrome.

On 23 Jun 2011, at 17:26, Dave Raggett wrote:

> In the webinos project [1] we are using installed vs hosted web apps.
>
> On 23/06/11 15:58, Karl Dubost wrote:
>> I do not want to start a name bikeshedding.
>> The name doesn't bother me so far, but I have seen that comment again
and again.

>>     On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:06:24 GMT
>>     In Bruce Lawson's personal site : Installable web apps and
interoperability
>>     At
http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2011/installable-web-apps-and-interoperabilit
y/