Re: Mouse Lock

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:18:06 -0700
To: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Vincent Scheib <scheib@google.com>, Brandon Andrews <warcraftthreeft@sbcglobal.net>, "Gregg Tavares (wrk)" <gman@google.com>, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com>, robert@ocallahan.org, public-webapps@w3.org
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
>>> So it sounds like we don't have a security model but we're hoping UA
>>> implementors can dream one up by combining enough heuristics.
>>
>> A model which I suggested privately, and which I believe others have
>> suggested publicly, is this:
>>
>> 1. While fullscreen is enabled, you can lock the mouse to the
>> fullscreened element without a prompt or persistent message.  A
>> temporary message may still be shown.  The lock is automatically
>> released if the user exits fullscreen.
>
> ^^^ This part sounds solid.

Why do you need to lock the mouse when you're in full-screen mode? The
mouse can't go outside the element anyway, right?

Or is this to handle the multi-monitor scenario where a fullscreen'ed
element might just cover one monitor.

>> 2. During a user-initiated click, you can lock the mouse to the target
>> or an ancestor without a permissions prompt, but with a persistent
>> message, either as an overlay or in the browser's chrome.
>
> ^^^ That also sounds reasonable too.  There's some subtly to make sure
> the message is actually visible to the user, especially in desktop
> situations where one window can overly another.  It's probably also
> useful to instruct the user how to release the lock.

Hmm.. I'm less comfortable with this I think. It's always very easy to
get the user to click somewhere on a page, so this effectively means
that it's very easy for any page to lock the mouse.

/ Jonas