Re: Mouse Lock

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:19:41 +0300
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
CC: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Vincent Scheib <scheib@google.com>, Brandon Andrews <warcraftthreeft@sbcglobal.net>, "Gregg Tavares (wrk)" <gman@google.com>, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com>, robert@ocallahan.org, public-webapps@w3.org
On 06/20/2011 10:18 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Adam Barth<w3c@adambarth.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> A model which I suggested privately, and which I believe others have
>>> suggested publicly, is this:
>>>
>>> 1. While fullscreen is enabled, you can lock the mouse to the
>>> fullscreened element without a prompt or persistent message.  A
>>> temporary message may still be shown.  The lock is automatically
>>> released if the user exits fullscreen.
>>
>> ^^^ This part sounds solid.
>
> Why do you need to lock the mouse when you're in full-screen mode? The
> mouse can't go outside the element anyway, right?
>
> Or is this to handle the multi-monitor scenario where a fullscreen'ed
> element might just cover one monitor.
>
>>> 2. During a user-initiated click, you can lock the mouse to the target
>>> or an ancestor without a permissions prompt, but with a persistent
>>> message, either as an overlay or in the browser's chrome.
>>
>> ^^^ That also sounds reasonable too.  There's some subtly to make sure
>> the message is actually visible to the user, especially in desktop
>> situations where one window can overly another.  It's probably also
>> useful to instruct the user how to release the lock.
>
> Hmm.. I'm less comfortable with this I think. It's always very easy to
> get the user to click somewhere on a page, so this effectively means
> that it's very easy for any page to lock the mouse.

Yeah. Mouse could be locked on mousedown, but it should be automatically
released on mouseup.
That is the way set/releaseCapture works in Firefox.

Other cases should need explicit permission from user.

-Olli