Re: SpellCheck API?

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 01:54:29 +0300
To: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
CC: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>, "Hironori Bono (坊野 博典)" <hbono@google.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, public-webapps@w3.org
On 05/12/2011 01:29 AM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> 2011/5/11 timeless<timeless@gmail.com>:
>> With this model, i'd want the UA to provide instances for words which
>> are misspelled according to its standard dictionary but which are in
>> its user's custom dictionary. The web page can try to make
>> suggestions, but generally the UA will choose to ignore the words
>> because it knows that the user is happy with the current word.
>
> This is tricky if the author's spellcheck breaks words differently
> from the built-in spellcheck.

Indeed, this is tricky. But I agree with timeless, and I think that
user or UA should be able to (or by default should) ignore suggestions
from web page, if user's custom dictionary (which can be even OS-level)
can recognize the word.

> Also, the website might have its own
> idea of the user's custom dictionary, which might be more correct than
> the browser's
Or it can be just very wrong. And also, user may have
trained browser's spellchecker to fit perfectly into his/her
habits.

> (like if all Google sites tracked a custom dictionary
> for you and you were using someone else's computer).  And the author's
> spellcheck might actually be flagging a grammar error, or using
> context-sensitive info to figure out that even though a particular
> word is fine in general it's a mistake here.
>
> So I'd be hesitant to say anything like this.

Well, I guess if a web page provides spellcheck suggestions, those
suggestions are just hints which UA may or may not utilize.

-Olli