Re: SpellCheck API?

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 18:29:53 -0400
To: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>
Cc: Olli@pettay.fi, Hironori Bono (坊野 博典) <hbono@google.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, public-webapps@w3.org
2011/5/11 timeless <timeless@gmail.com>:
> With this model, i'd want the UA to provide instances for words which
> are misspelled according to its standard dictionary but which are in
> its user's custom dictionary. The web page can try to make
> suggestions, but generally the UA will choose to ignore the words
> because it knows that the user is happy with the current word.

This is tricky if the author's spellcheck breaks words differently
from the built-in spellcheck.  Also, the website might have its own
idea of the user's custom dictionary, which might be more correct than
the browser's (like if all Google sites tracked a custom dictionary
for you and you were using someone else's computer).  And the author's
spellcheck might actually be flagging a grammar error, or using
context-sensitive info to figure out that even though a particular
word is fine in general it's a mistake here.

So I'd be hesitant to say anything like this.