[progress-events] Update

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 18:22:35 +0200
To: "WebApps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
I offered Charles to take over editing of the Progress Events
specification and hopefully drive it to completion. Today I wrote a draft
for ProgressEvent & company inspired by Charles' work:

I suggest we publish this as a Working Draft.

Relative to the latest Working Draft —
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-progress-events-20080521/ — this has been

* Allowed the ProgressEvent interface to be used for pretty much anything.
This helps with HTML5 application caches.
* Defined a restricted subset of it for HTTP requests.
* Made it clear that for cross-origin requests these events present a leak
of sorts.
* Event types are now suggestions rather than normative. Specifications
will have to make the final call.
* Added the event type loadend as suggestion; used by XMLHttpRequest.

I still think the interface members have terrible misleading names and
would happily fix that to make them more similar to the names used for
<progress> if we can get agreement, but I guess it is too late for that.

Charles' editors draft can be found here:

He made more changes but those have never been picked up by other
specifications or implementations so I decided to not base it on that.

Anne van Kesteren