Re: [FileAPI] Blob.URN?

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:55:45 -0700
To: Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>
Cc: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>, Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think that <input type=saveas> is a good solution for this, for one it falls back to a text input control, which is less than ideal. I think that the File Writer should trigger downloads on an API call since that doesn't introduce security issues that aren't already there. I'll make a proposal for that.
>>
>> Why not simply allow FileWriters be instantiated using:
>>
>> x = new FileWriter;
>>
>> And then make every call to .write open up the save as dialog.
>
> You wouldn't want to prompt on every write; developers might want to
> append a chunk at a time.
> You could prompt on creation, if you didn't mind that being a synchronous call.
>
> The reason I made an html element be the way of getting a FileWriter
> was to make the normal usage pattern not involve modal dialogs popping
> up in front of the user unprompted.  With an inpput control, they can
> choose when to interact with it, rather than having a speedbump shoved
> in front of them.

So we could allow FileWriter to be created directly in addition to
using <input type=saveas>. When instantiated directly any call to
.write will bring up a save-as dialog. This is useful for the cases
where Darin and others wanted to use content-disposition to bring up
the save-as dialog.

On a separate note, I have no idea how to create UI that makes the
user understand what they grant when selecting a file destination
using <input type=saveas>. I.e. that they are granting the web page
continuous writing (but not reading?) capabilities to the specific
file location.

/ Jonas