Re: [FileAPI] Blob.URN?

From: Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:01:27 -0700
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>, Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 31, 2010, at 01:56 , Darin Fisher wrote:
>>> The only way to get a FileWriter at the moment is from <input type="saveas">.  What is desired is a way to simulate the load of a resource with Content-Disposition: attachment that would trigger the browser's download manager.
>>
>> I don't think that <input type=saveas> is a good solution for this, for one it falls back to a text input control, which is less than ideal. I think that the File Writer should trigger downloads on an API call since that doesn't introduce security issues that aren't already there. I'll make a proposal for that.
>
> Why not simply allow FileWriters be instantiated using:
>
> x = new FileWriter;
>
> And then make every call to .write open up the save as dialog.

You wouldn't want to prompt on every write; developers might want to
append a chunk at a time.
You could prompt on creation, if you didn't mind that being a synchronous call.

The reason I made an html element be the way of getting a FileWriter
was to make the normal usage pattern not involve modal dialogs popping
up in front of the user unprompted.  With an inpput control, they can
choose when to interact with it, rather than having a speedbump shoved
in front of them.