Re: Seeking pre-LCWD comments for Indexed Database API; deadline February 2

On Jan 19, 2010, at 3:05 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 4:50 AM, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:
> Nikunj would like to move the Indexed Database API spec to Last Call Working Draft (LCWD):
>
>  http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebSimpleDB/
>
> If you have any comments, please send them to public-webapps@w3.org by February 2.
>
> Note the Process Document states the following regarding the significance/meaning of a LCWD:
>
> [[
> http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#last-call
> Purpose: A Working Group's Last Call announcement is a signal that:
>
> * the Working Group believes that it has satisfied its relevant technical requirements (e.g., of the charter or requirements document) in the Working Draft;
>
> * the Working Group believes that it has satisfied significant dependencies with other groups;
>
> * other groups SHOULD review the document to confirm that these dependencies have been satisfied. In general, a Last Call announcement is also a signal that the Working Group is planning to advance the technical report to later maturity levels.
> ]]
>
> Additionally, a LCWD should be considered feature-complete with all issues resolved.
>
> If there are other groups that should be asked for comments, please forward this email to them or identify the group(s).
>
> -Regards, Art Barstow
>

> We (Google) support this LC publication.
>
> We would, however, like time to gather meaningful experience with the spec before the last call review period ends.  We expect we'll have this experience by the end of May.  Would it be permissible to have a 4 month LC review period to facilitate this?

We at Apple are also in reviewing the spec and would also like additional time to review. It doesn't matter that much to us if the review time is before or during Last Call, but we definitely can't do a meaningful review by February 2, and therefore cannot really sign off by that date on whether the document has satisfied relevant technical requirements, is feature-complete, and has all issues resolved.

(As far as I can tell the document is less than 4 months old as an Editor's Draft and is about 60 pages long, so I hope it is reasonable to ask for some reasonable amount of review time.)

Regards,
Maciej