Re: Adopting postMessage and MessageChannel from HTML5?

On 1/9/2010 23:05, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Sigbjorn Finne wrote:
>
>> On 1/9/2010 09:00, Ian Hickson wrote:
>>
>>> Would this working group be interested in adopting the
>>> Window.postMessage and MessageChannel/MessagePort features from HTML5?
>>> It was recently split from the main HTML5 spec into a subspec, but
>>> some people have suggested it might be best in the webapps group. I'd
>>> be happy to continue editing it, it would just mean a change in the
>>> headers, as with Web Storage, etc (and would similarly remain in the
>>> WHATWG "complete" spec).
>>>
>> How do you plan to handle the dependency on the "structured cloning"
>> algorithm? Leave it as a back pointer to HTML5 or also extricate (& tidy
>> up)?
>>

> There are complex dependencies amongst a number of specs here -- Web
> Workers, Web Storage, HTML5, and this hypothetical draft all relate to
> each other. I don't think it's possible to sanely define the features in a
> way that is completely self-contained (well, short of putting them all in
> one spec, but that isn't popular at the W3C!). Assuming people are ok with
> it, therefore, I propose to leave the structured cloning algorithm in
> HTML5, along with the Window object.

That works. You can remove some trivial dependencies by introducing an
abstract interface
that captures the cloneability of native/host objects. One benefit being
that there is no longer
the need to update&sync HTML5 Chapter 2 for every object added by
individual specs.

To wit, 2.8.5 is still using FileData and not Blob. I bet updating this
is in your backlog though :)

--sigbjorn; sof@opera.com