Re: Adopting postMessage and MessageChannel from HTML5?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 22:05:45 +0000 (UTC)
To: Sigbjorn Finne <sigbjorn.finne@gmail.com>
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Sigbjorn Finne wrote:
> On 1/9/2010 09:00, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > Would this working group be interested in adopting the
> > Window.postMessage and MessageChannel/MessagePort features from HTML5?
> > It was recently split from the main HTML5 spec into a subspec, but
> > some people have suggested it might be best in the webapps group. I'd
> > be happy to continue editing it, it would just mean a change in the
> > headers, as with Web Storage, etc (and would similarly remain in the
> > WHATWG "complete" spec).
>
> How do you plan to handle the dependency on the "structured cloning"
> algorithm? Leave it as a back pointer to HTML5 or also extricate (& tidy
> up)?

There are complex dependencies amongst a number of specs here -- Web
Workers, Web Storage, HTML5, and this hypothetical draft all relate to
each other. I don't think it's possible to sanely define the features in a
way that is completely self-contained (well, short of putting them all in
one spec, but that isn't popular at the W3C!). Assuming people are ok with
it, therefore, I propose to leave the structured cloning algorithm in
HTML5, along with the Window object.