Re: Custom DOM events and privileged browser add-ons; Was: Bubbling/Capturing for XHR + other non-DOM objects

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:58:40 -0400
To: Brett Zamir <brettz9@yahoo.com>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, Travis Leithead <travil@microsoft.com>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Chris Wilson <cwilso@microsoft.com>
On 6/25/10 5:56 AM, Brett Zamir wrote:
> I guess in Firefox the document is all part of
> one big tree that includes the add-on markup, so propagation is indeed
> within the same DOM tree

It's not, actually.  In Firefox, an event will bubble from a Window to
some object in the browser UI associated with that Window.  This object
is the same for a page and all its subframes.

What this object is is effectively an implementation detail.

Note that we plan to keep this behavior as we move to a multi-process
architecture, at which point the event will effectively bubble across
the process boundary.

-Boris