Custom DOM events and privileged browser add-ons; Was: Bubbling/Capturing for XHR + other non-DOM objects

From: Brett Zamir <brettz9@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:56:48 +0800
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, Travis Leithead <travil@microsoft.com>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Chris Wilson <cwilso@microsoft.com>
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:53:51 +0200, Travis Leithead
> <travil@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> This topic came up internally on the IE team, and we thought it would
>> be noteworthy to put this question before the working groups in hopes
>> of getting a spec clarification made.
>>
>> The question is: for XHR and other non-DOM related objects that
>> support the EventTarget interface, meaning objects that will be
>> surfaced off of "window" but aren't really a part of the markup tree,
>> how should event propagation be handled?
>
> Events only propagate within a DOM tree. In addition there are some
> special cases for the global object noted in the HTML5 specification.
> Other than that there is no propagation.

This is I guess a bit unrelated, but I was wondering whether thought
been given to allowing custom events to allow formal propagation beyond
the document (as described in
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Code_snippets/Interaction_between_privileged_and_non-privileged_pages#Sending_data_from_chrome_to_unprivileged_document
) in a way that works cross-browser?

Although this is more suitable for small-scale experimentation rather
than formal APIs (especially with events not allowing formal
namespaces), it would be nice to have a method for allowing
web<->extension communication that could potentially be expanded to work
in more than one browser, especially as other browsers enhance their
add-on infrastructure.  (I guess in Firefox the document is all part of
one big tree that includes the add-on markup, so propagation is indeed
within the same DOM tree, but not sure whether other browsers treat
add-ons as fully separate, or if there is at least interest to make them
work the same way.)

Brett