RE: ENISA Smartphone security study

Hi Arthur, All,
Apologies - I should have explained a little more what we are looking for from the WG and you are right that some of the questions are out of scope - not answering all the questions is fine. In response to your mail:

1. I thought that some important aspects of Question 1 (the most extensive question) are relevant to the Webapps WG. In particular how the web apps access control mechanisms could be integrated with the device access control mechanisms when used on smartphones (and possibly process authentication and even key management). Are there any security issues in this integration? For example, are there any issues in integrating the CORS spec with the Android permissions model? How would widgets with device API access deal with access to resources which cost money, such as phone calls and those which collect highly sensitive data such as GPS, accelerometer etc...?

2. The questionnaire is just a tool to gather input, which we will use to write up a report. This report and its drafts will be available for review and discussion by the groups who contributed to the questionnaire. We will also clarify responses directly with each contributor. This is what is meant by "study". As such the comments are not public, but all drafts will be available to members of the group. I am happy to add the Webapps group to our mailing list if you wish.

3. From the point of view of "official position" what I meant was that we would like to be able to list the Webapps WG as contributors or consulted in our final report. This is very important to the impact of the final report, which should take into account the views of as many stakeholders as possible (and be seen to do so). This does not mean that we will suggest that you endorse the document in its entirety and we can also negotiate other forms of attribution but our default attribution text would be something like this:

"List of contributors: This paper was produced by ENISA editors using input and comments from a group selected for their expertise in the subject area, including industry, academic and government experts. The views expressed in this publication are those of the editors, unless stated otherwise, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the participating experts."

Note that we already have contributions from many of the individual organisations which make up the group, so while it would be nice to have as many responses as possible, we would especially like to have a representation from the Webapps WG.

Regards,

Giles Hogben

Dr Giles Hogben
Network Security Policy Expert
European Network & Information Security Agency (ENISA)