Re: XMLHttpRequest.responseBlob

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:29:22 +0200
To: "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Darin Fisher" <darin@chromium.org>, "Web Applications Working Group WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:00:02 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

>> I would rather have all attributes with the same name use the same case.

>> It's more used than referrer, lastModified, charset, characterSet,
>> defaultCharset, dir, head, embeds, plugins, links, scripts, innerHTML,
>> activeElement, designMode and commands on HTMLDocument according to
>> google
>> code search.
>
> Why restrict yourself to the HTMLDocument interface?

Because I don't have time to research the whole Web platform, and I don't
need to to make my point that document.URL isn't so rarely used as claimed.

> There are
> literally hundreds of properties in the DOM. Every single one uses a
> camelCase naming scheme for properties. Names starting with upper case
> is only used for "interface" names. Same thing with all javascript
> libraries that I can think of off the top of my head. And same thing
> with all built in properties defined in EMCAScript.
>
> The only exception that the web depends on is Document.URL.
>
> I don't think we can give a property an all uppercase name and claim
> that we're following any sort of established pattern.

Sure. I agree it doesn't follow the pattern. I still would rather have all
attributes with the same name use the same case, since it's easier to
remember as an author.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software