Re: CORS Last Call status/plans? [Was: Re: [UMP] Request for Last Call]

On Apr 19, 2010, at 12:49 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 19.04.2010 09:41, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> This obviously would be impossible if another layer (say proxies)
>>> would already block that.
>>
>> It wouldn't be impossible, it just wouldn't have the desired end-to-
>> end
>> effect. But proxies are already not allowed to remove random response
>> headers.
>
> Whatever the rule is for proxies should be the rule for a software
> layer as well. What's relevant is the impact on the application.

Proxies have different security considerations than API exposed to
client-side JavaScript. So it would not make sense for the rules to be
the same.

>>> Don't do to others what you don't want to be done to yourself.
>>>
>>> Blacklist things when there is a problem.
>>
>> I think a whitelist with opt-in exceptions strikes the right balance
>> between security and extensibility. You haven't provided any
>> reasons why
>> that's not good enough.
>
> I already did. If multiple layers blocked unknown response headers,
> and each needed a separate way to opt them back in, we'd be in
> trouble.

But that's not the case here. The blocking is solely at the API
surface. No one is suggesting that proxies should block unknown
response headers.

Regards,
Maciej