Re: Length of LC comment period [Was: Ready for LC on the various drafts I edit]

On Dec 4, 2009, at 4:07 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2009, at 9:23 PM, ext Ian Hickson wrote:
>
>> As predicted last week [1], I have replied to the outstanding
>> issues that
>> had been raised on the following specs, and thus am ready to
>> suggest that
>> we take these specs to LC to get wider review:
>>
>>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/eventsource/
>>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/webdatabase/
>>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/websockets/
>>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/webstorage/
>>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/workers/
>>
>> A six month review period should be reasonable, so I would suggest
>> giving
>> a last call "deadline" of something like July 1st 2010.
>
> Would those that have implemented and/or deployed the above specs
> please comment on the LC review period length for these specs?
>
> If we already have multiple implementations of a spec, I think the
> spirit of the Recommendation track process suggests a shorter LC
> period (say 2 months given the time of the year) and then (assuming
> no substantive comments) moving the spec to Candidate.

The WebKit project has implementations all the cited specs. However,
many of them are still in progress and not 100% feature complete. Some
have not shipped in a non-beta product yet. Overall we are still at
the point where we are discovering new issues in the course of
implementation. I estimate that within 4-6 months we will have feature-
complete versions of all the specs implemented and in most cases
shipping in at least one of Safari or Chrome.

Regards,
Maciej