Re: Length of LC comment period [Was: Ready for LC on the various drafts I edit]

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:01:09 -0800
Cc: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

On Dec 4, 2009, at 4:19 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>>
>> If we already have multiple implementations of a spec, I think the
>> spirit of the Recommendation track process suggests a shorter LC
>> period
>> (say 2 months given the time of the year) and then (assuming no
>> substantive comments) moving the spec to Candidate.
>
> I don't realistically think I'd have time to address the likely
> volume of
> comments in two months, since I am also dealing with HTML5's last call
> comments in the WHATWG and will likely be starting work on some more
> specifications in January.

I don't think we need to address all Last Call comments by the end of
the LC period - that's just the deadline to submit them. We can take
as long as we need after that to either go back to Working Draft or
produce a disposition of comments and request transition to CR. That
being said, I don't think the original LC period is unreasonable,
given the active ongoing implementation work on these specs.

  - Maciej