Re: Let's turn WebDatabase into a WG Note

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 06:23:38 +0100, Adrian Bateman
<adrianba@microsoft.com> wrote:

> ...As I noted at TPAC, at Microsoft we don't think we'll collectively be
> able to achieve reasonable interop because of the SQL dialect issue ...
> it seems unlikely that there will be two independent interoperable
> implementations at the SQL level which makes moving to Last Call
> potentially problematic...

I expect to see interoperable implementations from Opera and Apple/Chrome
- so although you can argue that iPhone-Safari and Safari are hardly
independent, I think we will easily get a couple of truly independent
interoperable versions.

That said, given the current reluctance of MS and Mozilla to implement, it
does seem unlikely that this will achieve reliable interoperability on the
Web at large.

> I do wonder whether it might make sense to include an editor's note in
> the WD indicating that independent implementations of the SQL dialect
> aren't currently anticipated just so that anyone unfamiliar with this
> conversation would be aware from the spec.

I think the spec should be more careful, stating something like "we do not
currently anticipate that browsers will all implement the spec", and
pointing to the WebSimpleDB as a *more likely* implementation based on
current knowledge.

cheers

Chaals