[widgets] P&C: LC#3 and CR#2

All,

> From: ext Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
> Date: September 30, 2009 9:45:49 AM EDT
> To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
> Cc: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>, public-mwts <public-
> mwts@w3.org>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Scott Wilson
> <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [widgets] Conformance Checker assertions spec
>
> Le mercredi 30 septembre 2009 à 15:32 +0200, Robin Berjon a écrit :
>> Also, does going to LC again re-open an exclusionary period? I think
>> we can't go to Rec (and probably not to PR) until the exclusionary
>> period is over. Dom?
>
> A new LC opens a 2 months exclusion period during which the group
> is not
> supposed to go to PR, indeed; the only way to shorten that period
> is for
> every AC Reps in the WebApps WG to agree to waive their exclusions
> rights - which given the size of the group is likely to be a difficult
> exercice...

Despite our efforts, it appears we have identified a sufficient
number of issues with the 23-July-2009 CR such that we need to
publish LC#3. Given this, we do indeed have an option to publish CR#2
or go directly to PR.

I am not particularly comfortable with skipping CR#2 especially since
we have no way of knowing who is actually implementing our published
CR, in particular the normative Conformance Checker requirements that
will presumably be removed from the spec. As such, I prefer
publishing CR#2 since it sends a clear signal to any implementor the
July CR is superseded.

Additionally, given the mandatory 2-month exclusion period that will
start upon LC#3's publication, it appears the "short route" i.e.
skipping CR#2 won't actually save us any time. That is, during that
same amount of time we can a) publish LC#3 (3 weeks) and b) publish
CR#2 with a relatively short CR (e.g. 4 weeks).

A rough schedule would then be: during the Nov 2-3 f2f meeting agree
to all changes for LC#3; November 10 LC#3 is published and Exclusion
period begins; December 1 LC#3 ends; Dec 9 CR#2 is published; January
5 CR#2 ends as does the Exclusion period; mid January publish PR.

-Regards, Art Barstow