Re: [A&E] Last Call comments (2): discovery & localization

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:27:55 +0200
Cc: Marcin Hanclik <Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
On Sep 23, 2009, at 16:07 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
> Robin Berjon wrote:

>>> Yes, you can check its URI. If the implementation supports the
>>> window
>>> object, then it possible.
>>
>> How? window.location will return widget:///foo.html irrespective of
>> whether the runtime loaded /foo.html or /locales/fr/foo.html.
>
> Ah, ok. Yes, forgot about that. Well, the best we can do is give the
> lang list that the UA is using? Ideas? is this really important? I
> can see it being useful to know where stuff is being loaded from
> instead of having to guess where a resource was loaded from.

I wouldn't call it important enough that it would have to happen in
v1. Basic functionality would be to expose the UA's known preferred
locales, but I don't think that's for us to define (it seems like a
perfect candidate for the navigator object). If you want to make it
useful in our model you need to be able to find the locale of a given
resource, which in turn requires a uriToLocale() method.

I think that it's a lot of work for something that won't be used
(though of course that could be said of pretty much the entire locale
system :~).

Maybe in v2 we can improve this (e.g. also with a setLocale() call so
widgets can expose a UI to change language) but for the time being I'd
recommend not doing it  the cost-benefit ratio isn't worth it and we
shouldn't do something just for completeness' sake, we're not in the
elegance business.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/