Re: Window Modes - best practice and scalability

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:07:38 +0200
Cc: <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com> <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com>
Hi Richard,

On Aug 17, 2009, at 11:19 , <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com> <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com
 > wrote:
> The above [usage of MQs] could be a good method and/or using good,
> standard,
> liquid/fluid/elastic CSS design can go to some lengths to mitigate the
> rendering inconsistency of different devices.
>
> Is this best practice the generally held opinion of the WebApps group?

I don't know that the WG has formed a common and documented opinion on
this matter, but I think that the examples you give are good, and I
believe others would agree.

> My question though is whether we can go one further in our specs to
> allow for the scaling of widgets that have been developed at a certain
> resolution (with or without the best practice above) to be re-scaled
> according to the current device display.
>
> Looking around I don't see any *consistent* methods for scaling a web
> page/widget on different devices just yet, and I haven't come across
> any
> related standard even though there are what seem to be a few
> proprietary
> (?) approaches: [4] [5] & [6].
> [4] - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms890014.aspx
> [5] -
> http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/AppleApplication
> s/Reference/SafariWebContent/UsingtheViewport/UsingtheViewport.html
> [6] - http://dev.opera.com/forums/topic/250293

I don't believe that there's been any discussion on this in *this* WG,
however it was discussed as part of WICD Core in the CDF WG [0] though
I believe eventually rejected. I think the CSS WG has also talked
about it. You could also wrap your viewport in SVG and use that to
scale and adapt the content  but that might be tricky :)

[0]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cdf/2008Aug/0000.html

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/