Moving alerting methods to DAP (was: Re: [widgets] Draft Minutes from 13 August 2009 Voice Conf)

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 11:34:18 +0200
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Heya all,

catching up on email after a short stay in the Alps :)

On Aug 13, 2009, at 16:32 , Arthur Barstow wrote:
>   AB: MC, you have an issue about the A+E?
>    MC: yes; showNotifcation
>   ... do we want this in a new spec?
>   MH: BONDI module UI
>   ... handles softkeys, vibration, etc.
>   ... think showNot and getAttention should be defined together
>   BS: could get DAP involved

I agree with this general reasoning  I encourage people to submit
notifications as one of the requirements for DAP's "User Interaction
API" (which is chartered to include "alerting mechanisms").

>   MC: since these APIs were removed from HTML5, a lot of the landscape
>   has changed
>   ... there may now be enough interest for HTML5 to take these back

Given that HTML5 is trying to get to LC within this decade, I doubt
they'll accept that. The tendency is more to trim as many things out
of the specification as they can find editors to sustain.

>   Arve: I don't think DAP is right, but WebApps is OK if HTML WG
>   doesn't want them

Care to detail why?

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/