Re: Using progress events for other purposes

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 00:38:49 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> The Application Cache feature in HTML5 uses an event named 'progress' as
> part of the process, in a manner mostly unrelated to the rest of the
> progress events feature. It needs two values of context information
> (number of files being downloaded, number of files obtained so far).
> Should I just reuse the ProgressEvents interface? It seems that doing so
> is a violation of the Progress Events specification, but I don't see why
> it should be.

If we extend the ProgressEvent interface in the future we'd have to consider non-byte-length-based uses of it. Is that really a good idea? (I suppose that could be a different interface that extends ProgressEvent, but still.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/