Re: Things missing from Web IDL for HTML5

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 11:53:32 +0000 (UTC)
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Ian Hickson:
> > I updated HTML5 to use the new Web IDL stuff.
>
> Great!  I notice you haven’t used nullable types for any of the
> DOMString arguments, attributes or return types.  Was that a conscious
> choice?
>
>   http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-nullable-type
>
> Bare DOMStrings now mean a type that doesn’t include the null value.

It was intentional in that I'm intentionally sticking my head in the sand
about the whole DOMString/null/undefined issue at the moment, at least
until either you finish the tests you were writing, or I get off my lazy
behind and do it. :-)

BTW, is the following valid IDL? It seems to match the grammar, but I
can't work out what it means:

   interface A {
     void ();
   };

(Or variations on the theme -- basically an operation with no specials and
no identifier, and arbitrary return values and arguments.)