Re: Things missing from Web IDL for HTML5

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:21:01 +1000
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org
Ian Hickson:
> I updated HTML5 to use the new Web IDL stuff.

Great!  I notice you haven’t used nullable types for any of the
DOMString arguments, attributes or return types.  Was that a conscious
choice?

  http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-nullable-type

Bare DOMStrings now mean a type that doesn’t include the null value.

> Here's what's missing, and how I've used it:
>
> * Some interfaces need multipler "caller"s. I've assumed that I can
> specify "caller" on multiple operations and have the overloading behaviour
> handle it automatically.

Done:

  http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#call

> * Some interfaces need the "caller" and the "getter" to be the same
> operation. I've assumed that one can specify both on the same operation.

Done:

  http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#prod-Operation

> * [Supplemental]: For specification process reasons, some interface
> definitions don't get organised the same way as we want from
> implementations. I've assumed that [Supplemental] will exist, and used it
> as follows:

Work on [Supplemental] forthcoming.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/