Re: [DOM3Events] Use cases for Mutation Events

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 14:03:38 +0100
Cc: Sergey Ilinsky <castonet@yahoo.co.uk>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
On Jun 4, 2009, at 12:17 , Jonas Sicking wrote:
> I generally agree, and I think that had mutation events never been
> implemented (I'm looking at you Hyatt) the world would probably not
> have missed them very much.

More to the point, if browsers would give us XBL2 mutation events
would be a whole lot less needed. (Yes Jonas, you know at whom I'm
looking).

One thing that mutation events were used a lot for back in the old
days of ASV (that supported them early on, IIRC in v3) was to add
behaviour through decoration. Basically you could add a
foo:draggable="true" on an element and know that a JS library would
detect that change and make your element draggable. It's the poor
man's XBL really.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/