Re: [DOM3Events] Use cases for Mutation Events

From: João Eiras <joaoe@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 13:18:36 +0200
To: "Sergey Ilinsky" <castonet@yahoo.co.uk>, "Webapps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
> Other thoughts:
> 1) If I am the author to the scripts that modify document, then I am indeed aware of what gets changed. If I am not the author, I shall then not have been notified on the change. The use cases such as "debugger" do not count here - it would be possible to offer required APIs (such as DOM Mutation Events) to them only, without needing the API to populate on the page. And this is not a sucrifice to run page 50% slower caused by the Mutation Events turned on on behalf of a debugger, right?

Use cases:
  - user triggered input, like when using contentEditable/designMode
  - 3rd party libraries which want to know if the document mutates out of their context
  - 3rd party scripts (like ad scripts, or link to social networking or sharing sites) that change the document and the document wants to keep some sanity in it

--

João Eiras
Core Developer, Opera Software ASA, http://www.opera.com/