Re: [widgets] Purpose and utility of <feature> unclear

On Jun 1, 2009, at 18:26, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> Imagine that a new groups need to be set up to deal with Camara-
> privacy, Contacts-privacy, etc., etc.,... this stuff is going to
> take like 10 years to sort out.

One might argue that camera shouldn't be an API but a UI extension of
the <input type=file> file picker and that the operations of adding
contacts or calendar items should be based on user initiating an
action on microformat/microdata marked-up part of a page. It's easy to
see how the Right Thing and time-to-market are at odds here.

> Also, it is hard to tell if Mozilla has done a good job or not with
> their UIs: Those APIs and the corresponding user interfaces have not
> been in the wild long enough to be able to give an objective
> assessment...

Fair point.

> For the purpose of the disposition of comments, and as far as the
> current text in the specification goes, can I record that your
> comments have been addressed?

You may record my questions as addressed with the commenter agreeing
except for one case:

I still think that the policy of having to use <feature> to activate a
feature should be presumptively limited to widget-oriented features
instead of being presumptively required for new features in general.

I'll start new threads for additional comments

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi