Re: [widgets] P&C Last Call comments, interoperability

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 14:46:29 +0200
Cc: "marcosc@opera.com" <marcosc@opera.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Marcin Hanclik <Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com>
On Jun 2, 2009, at 12:18 , Marcin Hanclik wrote:
> I understand that the implementations may have arbitrary path lengths.
> But to ensure the interoperability from the very beginning, some
> reasonable limit could be put already.
> E.g. 1024 bytes for the maximum path length.

We've been there and done that, and it's a bad idea. It means that
content that is perfectly fine and works everywhere  is classified as
invalid. And in practice no one cares about such limitations anyway
specifications shouldn't try to define conformance beyond what
implementers are likely to do, it's just a waste of good pixels.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/