[selectors-api] Matching subtrees or not

From: Gavin Kistner <gavin@phrogz.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:29:17 -0700
To: public-webapps@w3.org

Section 6 states:
"The querySelector() method ... must ... return the first matching
Element node ***within the node’s subtree***." [1]
"The querySelectorAll() method ... must ... return ... all of the
matching Element nodes ***within the node’s subtree***..." [2]
(Emphasis mine.)

In conflict, Section 8 (Examples) states:
"Even though the method is invoked on an element, ***selectors are
still evaluated in the context of the entire document***. In the
following example, the method will still match the div element's child
p element, even though the body element is not a descendant of the div
element itself." [3]
(Emphasis mine.)

As Section 8 is non-normative (being an example, as covered under
section 2), I assume that it is wrong. I agree with the specifications
as stated in section 6: invoking the methods on a node should only
match against the subtree of that node (or possibly the node and its
subtree), not the entire document.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-selectors-api-20081114/#queryselector
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-selectors-api-20081114/#queryselectorall
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-selectors-api-20081114/#examples0